Case Study: Managed Database Maintenance, and a little bit more!

DTA IT were engaged to perform database administration duties across 30+ critical production systems due to staff shortages. A daily time schedule was agreed where maintenance and other critical processes could be checked and any remediation work could take place prior to office hours starting.

Our SQL alerting solution was added to the production systems ensuring any potential errors could be quickly identified and resolved with minimal interruption to live services. Additional work was undertaken when the client asked if the systems could also be upgraded to latest levels during out of hours periods.

The engagement ran successfully for 6 weeks when new onsite staff were hired. DTA IT assisted in the hiring process by reviewing candidate applications and conducting a number of technical interviews.

Case Study: Defining Database Development Standards

DTA IT were brought in to a leading charity to help define new standards for database development work. We conducted initial discussions with stakeholders to understand current processes and to identify areas of improvement.

Although the main focus was around refining change and release management processes we also ran a number of SQL development training sessions to upskill team members and to enhance the database DevOps culture. Overall the project ran for a total of four weeks and we received extremely positive feedback on the impact we’d had!

Case Study: Performance Tuning a Global OLTP System.

A client asked DTA IT to undertake a performance tuning project on a large global OLTP system. We initially performed an in-depth assessment of the environment to understand it’s configuration, workloads and to identify potential areas of improvement that we would focus on.

A plan was put together to conduct a top-down approach towards tuning the system. Due to the critical nature of the environment we also engaged with a number of teams that were directly involved with supporting the environment to ensure any changes were approved and undertaken in a controlled manner.

Initial configuration changes were made to the SQL instance, including additional database maintenance processes before we started to tune the query layer. A number of stored procedures were identified as tuning candidates and we worked directly with the vendors development team to advise on code and index modifications. Changes were released to the live system on a gradual basis and various performance metrics were gathered at each stage so improvements could be accurately measured.

At the end of the project detailed performance metrics taken throughout the tuning work were presented to the client showing a considerable improvement in resource consumption and SQL Server waits, end user feedback also stated that the application had seemed to be much quicker.